As a potential candidate for our next Senior Pastor, the information on this page is designed to help you get to know who we are, where we have been, and where we see SBC Marion heading. Information about the position itself, as well as who to contact if interested, is listed below.
Second Baptist is prayerfully seeking a full-time Senior Pastor who will provide spiritual leadership and vision to our staff, ministry leaders, and congregation. The man God brings will have a gift and passion for studying, preaching, and teaching God’s word. He will also understand the urgency in seeing others come to know Christ and grow in their relationship with Him.
For over 100 years SBC has actively ministered within the
city of Marion Illinois. Over the
last 7 years we have experienced steady
solid growth averaging 320 in Sunday Morning worship but frequently seeing 350+
in attendance. Second Baptist also
values Sunday School, with the vast majority of our worship attenders
participating in a Sunday morning small group. Over the last year we have experienced two
key pastoral leadership transitions and as a result our growth has plateaued,
but SBC remains a strong and dedicated congregation of believers who continue
to seek Gods will and to faithfully serve him.
We are currently blessed with a wonderful Interim Pastor, a Discipleship
and Missions Pastor, a Worship/Senior Adult Pastor and a part time Student
Ministry leader. We also have an
outstanding team of small group leaders and student ministry volunteers.
We fully believe God will bless the ministry of the Senior Pastor he is currently preparing to serve in his church, and our members and leaders are eager and ready to support and follow him as he leads us into a new season of growth. In fact, we recently utilized a church growth consultant who has helped us develop plans for building renovation /expansion and also provided a pathway to implement multiple worship services so that when that need arises we will already be prepared for growth.
If you long to serve with a group of believers who passionately want to see others come to Christ we would like to hear from you!
Located in southern part of the state, Marion is the county seat of Williamson County Illinois. The population from the 2010 census was 17,193. Although located in Illinois, Marion remains a thriving community and is the town that others in the area come to for shopping and dining. You will discover many of the amenities found in larger cities are available in Marion due to our strategic interstate location, yet we are just minutes away from the Shawnee National Forest and many opportunities for outdoor recreation. Our city is conveniently located two hours from St. Louis, MO and three hours from Nashville, TN and Louisville, KY.
For more information about Marion, please visit the links below:
SBC Marion is a conservative Southern Baptist church fully supportive of the Southern Baptist Convention and the Cooperative Program. We are a congregational governed, deacon served, church. We are seeking a senior pastor that will be responsible for leading members to witness; to grow and develop in Christian maturity; to participate in Christian ministries, and to act as administrator of the church and staff on a full-time basis. Second Baptist is a non-reformed church.
Our senior pastor must be able to fulfill the following job requirements:
- Deliver challenging and stimulating sermons which are biblically based on sound doctrine;
- Lead and encourage the congregation in personal evangelism and witnessing;
- Lead and encourage in ministering to the needs of members as well as non-members;
- Disciple the congregation through Bible study;
- Work with all staff to lead the body through planning and conducting the worship services, preparing and delivering sermons, and leading in the observance of ordinances;
- Conduct and coordinate visits with members and prospects, including those in hospitals, nursing homes, and homebound;
- Conduct counseling sessions, perform wedding ceremonies and funerals;
- Work with church deacons, church officers, and other staff to develop an annual long-range plan for church growth;
- Act as moderator of church business meetings except in matters where he is directly affected by the action at hand;
- Cooperate with associational, state and denominational leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern, keep the church informed of denominational developments, and represent the church in civic matters;
- Serve as administrator of the paid church staff, supervise the ordained staff, conduct annual evaluations for each staff member and report results to the staff evaluation committee;
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees of the church as they perform their responsibilities;
- It is preferred that candidates for our senior pastor position have attained a ministry degree(s) from one of our six Southern Baptist seminaries;
- Preference will be given to those candidates;
Salary will be commensurate with education and pastoral experience.
If this describes you, please contact: